Saturday, September 13, 2008

The After Life by Daniel Ehrenhaft

(-teasers!

Liz: "I told him he didn't sound like himself. and that was wrong. Because I don't know who he is, you know? i don't even know who I am! How could I? how could you? There's a new me every single day! And you know what? That's fine. I'm seventeen. How could I know who I am? Do you know who you are? '
Kyle: I guess not. But i wish I did.
Liz: I wish I did too. and maybe I'll find out.

Plot Summary:

Soon after Will meets his half-brother and sister for the first time, their rich father -- who Will barely knew -- dies. He leaves the twins mega-money, but offers Will a deal: He'll get two million if he drives an old Volvo from Florida to New York. Will doesn't have a license, so the twins drive, and they get to know one another along the way -- especially how hurt each of them really is.


My Verdict
Parents need to know that this is a very mature book featuring three extremely messed-up teens. The characters fight and swear, and Will especially is nearly always drunk or on drugs (and sometimes both). Also, Liz and Will -- who believe they are half-brother and sister -- develop a romantic relationship, and even kiss.

Sounds immoral if the story really happened in reality.
The story is great, but kind'a mind polluting for the teens.

So, I would only recommend that you only read this book, only if your raised with strong parental guidance. I also would also suggest that it is best to always treat this book as a product of Daniel Ehrenhafts figment of imagination and not as something that's happening in the real world.

Based on the premises I could somehow infer that not all books are educational. There are also some who simply do story-telling. Bottom line here is that, as parents we should be hands on with our children. Get into their world, and check-out what's on it that's hooking them up, after all, it would pay a lot.

The key here is Guidance and Supervision!

As to this book, mmmppp... I would not recommend it. You can still read it though, just don't sink in. : )

Related Books:

More Road Trips:

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Guitar Highway Rose by Brigid Lowry
Car Trouble by Jeanne DuPrau

kim(^^,)

No comments: